SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
My 2 cents? I wouldn't buy a new boat unless I was paying close to used boat prices. In my opinion there hasn't been a ton of innovation in regards to quality of new boats versus those built 3-5 years ago. I think that like other transportation devices, there is a strong tendency to not want "somebody else's worn down ___" and as such the used boat market is not strong enough to bring prices up to the point where the price difference between new versus used equals the benefits of new vs used. That being said, that could simply be my personal preferences, along with not valuing the benefits of a brand new boat to a great enough extent.
I never buy big ticket items - Cars, boats, houses etc - new, there's too big a hit on depreciation. Finding a lightly used whatever saves such a big piece of change for very little compromise.

I once read a quote that one only HAD to have two things new - food & underwear. That goes well beyond my personal choice but there is an element of truth to it.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook