SailNet Community - View Single Post - cruising dinghy in currents and beach camping
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: cruising dinghy in currents and beach camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggers View Post
Thanks, great advice / links.

I felt that CATs might be dangerous because they turtle quickly and you can't right them easily, and they capsize unexpectedly. Plus they don't seem as comfortable as a dinghy. Am I right about this?
IMHO beach cats are far safer than monohull unballasted dinghies. A capsized beach cat can be righted in not much more time than it takes to right a dinghy and bail it out, but are faaaaaar less likely to capsize in the first place. Don't take my word for it, go to a beach cat club and ask around if anyone will let you crew on their boat. If they are as nice as they are around here, someone will give you a ride. If you get a cat with wings it will be far more comfortable than a dinghy, but even on a regular hobie 16 I find the tramps more comfortable than sitting on the bottom of a dinghy in light airs.

I mean, the atlantic ocean has been crossed by guys on beach cats at least 10 times, and guys have even done the northwest passage (the arctic) on a beach cat, not to mention doing key west to cuba and all kinds of other crazy stuff (google this you will find it). I don't know anyone who has done this kind of thing on an unballasted monohull dinghy

Last edited by peterchech; 08-23-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook