SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: "Buyer's Market" - any data to back it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
I just received a notification on a Sabre 30 yesterday from my broker at 8:15AM. It sold to someone else less than one hour after being listed for the full asking price; which I learned when I said "I want to see it!" Sounds "seller's market" to me on that one. ;-)

With homes it's location, location, location. With used boats it's condition, condition, condition.

Brokers have sources for sell price vs listing price. Most everything "routine" seems to be dropping 10% in the last six months. With the latest news, God knows? Is your money safer in a boat or the bank?

I'm planning on still buying a boat.

Those that need large loans? THAT will crimp the buyers and could reduce new boat sales - bringing UP the used boat market.
Remember, a buyer can offer anything. Final sale price after survey is another story. It can be a strategy for a creative buyer. Offer anything, get the boat off the market, surveys, banks, insurance companies, mechanics, riggers, sailmakers, then come back with a laundry list of fixes and then low ball. Long distance buyers may have to do the same. Offer full price pending a survey and inspection, travel to the boat, meet the surveyor and get down to business.

The boat could also be in extraordinary condition. That in itself is a rare find on the used boat market. Boats are often sold due to lack of interest or time to enjoy the product.

And of course there is no shortage of sellers who will only sell at their price, as apposed to the market price. That does not change in any market, but when the bottom slips it leaves more boats on the market for years.

The housing market is no different except that people have mortgages to pay off and most would like to make a buck so the houses sit unsold.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 08-23-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook