SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB vs sat phone for weather reports
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012

kosta.k is on a distinguished road
Re: SSB vs sat phone for weather reports

Thanks for the remarks Terry. I am actually sailing in Europe with Bluewater Cruising in mind. My answer to the original question was more related to ways of receiving weather information. If we extend this discussion to security, I totally agree with you. Especially with regards to the "one-to-many-device". I also have a Marine Radio setup with DSC calling, which I see as mandatory. However, I have a slightly different view on SSB "Transceivers", which I find over-priced. My overall security concept (for now and after some bluewater experience across the Atlantic) includes the Marine Radio with DSC, SatPhone and EPIRB (and the mentioned SSB receiver). I don't know (I might be wrong and its just a gut feeling), but if the worst comes to the worst and you are about to loose your boat offshore, the electronics won't work anymore anyways. Apart from all the stress in this very moment. I would rather rely on the EPIRB and my SatPhone, which I would have in my grab bag. On the other hand - as said - I totally agree with you, it's just not for me. By the way. Your website and the contents are pretty cool. I bookmarked your site and will have a closer look at it over the weekend. Finally, sorry for my English - I am not a native speaker, so things might sound a bit different :-).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook