SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can planing hulls exceed hull speed upwind?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Can planing hulls exceed hull speed upwind?

Now the theoretical hull speed for my boat is about 5 knots, but I regularly hit 6 knots upwind, and I know that this is not unusual. I have gone 9 knots downwind on a 26' non-planing boat under spinnaker, with the transom sucking down and all. So hull speed can be exceeded somewhat in most boats I get this.

But many sportboats advertise "multihull speeds in a monohull". Multihulls don't have the same transom-sucking hull speed limitations that monohulls do. Now downwind a sport boat can jump on plane, and a 21' viper will easily do 14 knots in any decent breeze. This is almost 3 times the theoretical hull speed, and getting close to being as fast as a similarly sized cat or tri. But what about upwind?

Can these sportboats, with their planing hulls, do anything close to what multis can do on points of sail from a reach to upwind? ie can they jump on plane and significantly exceed hull speed upwind? Or is that $50,000 melges 22 gonna be just as slow as my hunter on anypoint of sail above a broad reach?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook