SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone living on a Gemini 105MC
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone living on a Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
we did for a few months...not the boat to take to the caribbean unless you are really careful with the weather.

I did not like:
the "RV" fridge..propane/12v/110v....it scared me the entire time. Were it my boat, it would come out and a marine or else just 110v go in.
access to the mechanical drive leg is a chore, and kind of rube goldberg
using the daggerboards required work that took me away from the helm
access to places that somehow collect water is tough. Were it my boat, I would cut some access holes or find where the water is coming from...I think this is addressed in the newer 105MC
tough to keep the weight off, while liveaboard

I did like
the master cabin and berth
the tilt up of the dinette seat, and the foot ledge below the seat. My wife LOVED it, as she has short legs and could sit there for a long time and still be comfortable.
stable, fast and easy to sail
cockpit is very "captain" friendly and still has room for a companion or mate.
she handles well under power
fits in a "normal" width slip
haul by a regular travel lift

We added the usual liveaboard stuff, and a mattress pad. Ipod amplifier.we added a fly screen to the main "door" as the slider was getting way too much of a work out. We added a step stool for some docks to get on and off easier, often we docked bow in, to have more privacy. We added reflector insulation to the sun side windows and used it all the time. AC only on the really hot or humid days.

All the best,
Hey kd3pc,

Since no good deed goes unpunished I wonder if you could elaborate on a few of the points you raised.

Why did the Gemini require more careful consideration of the weather than other boats? What weather issues are the boats short comings?

Do all the Gemini's have propane refrigeration and what makes it more of a risk than a propane stove?

I really can't get excited about the looks of any Catamaran, but their advantages for the way I envision using a boat (Chesapeake Bay and perhaps ICW to points south) are hard to ignore so owning a Gemini is a thought that crosses my mind from time to time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook