SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone living on a Gemini 105MC
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone living on a Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Hey kd3pc,

Since no good deed goes unpunished I wonder if you could elaborate on a few of the points you raised.

Why did the Gemini require more careful consideration of the weather than other boats? What weather issues are the boats short comings?

Do all the Gemini's have propane refrigeration and what makes it more of a risk than a propane stove?

I really can't get excited about the looks of any Catamaran, but their advantages for the way I envision using a boat (Chesapeake Bay and perhaps ICW to points south) are hard to ignore so owning a Gemini is a thought that crosses my mind from time to time.
the gemini is a perfect ICW boat and for the bay...

as to the weather, some attachment points were not as strong as I would like, as well as a lot of glass work. She does not sail on all points of sail as my MUCH heavier Hunter or the previous Sabre, or as close to the wind. You have to leave the helm to douse sails, especially the jib/genoa/screecher...again that can be solved but at a higher price. She sails flat and has more bridgedeck slap and motion the more weather you get. Then there was the water intrusion into the amas (again some boats have it, some don't) not sure where or how the water gets in, but it was enough for one or two boats to become bow heavy and pitch or pitchpole. Over canvased? Perhaps. The Gemini we sat did not have as much weight added due to liveaboad as some others we traveled with.

Understand that we came from 15 years of CNG, and the gemini fridge was an RV model, open flame on the back when in Propane mode...not for me. I am not sure what the years were that had this, our boat was a show model and may have been a one off. I was told at the Annapolis Boat show a few years back that several 105Mc had the RV gear..

Were I in the market for a 105Mc, I would for sure chase down these concerns. There is an active users group on Yahoo and used to be "Gemini Gems", the catamaran company also has some very sharp guys experienced with the 105Mc.

It was, not sure about now with Hunter, a decent made boat as long as you understand the price point it was designed and built to, and were willing to accept the "warranty" as it were...we looked at new, delivered in Annapolis...and could not get more than a single year warranty on the hull, every other piece of gear (even the UK sourced stuff) I would have had to go to the actual manufacturer....buying used solves that... Hull issues would have to come back to Annapolis no matter where you were in the world.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook