SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone living on a Gemini 105MC
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone living on a Gemini 105MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Hey kd3pc,

Since no good deed goes unpunished I wonder if you could elaborate on a few of the points you raised.

Why did the Gemini require more careful consideration of the weather than other boats? What weather issues are the boats short comings?

Do all the Gemini's have propane refrigeration and what makes it more of a risk than a propane stove?

I really can't get excited about the looks of any Catamaran, but their advantages for the way I envision using a boat (Chesapeake Bay and perhaps ICW to points south) are hard to ignore so owning a Gemini is a thought that crosses my mind from time to time.
The Gemini's are plenty sturdy for anything you are planning on doing. The biggest issue as far as weather window is that they pound into waves due to the bridge deck height, likely true of any Catmaran. As far as I know it is not so much a safety issue as a comfort issue. They will beat you up pretty bad if hit rough water. Though I imagine if you bang around on the waves too much you might do damage, but they have done crossings no problem.

Issue with the propane refrigeration is that it runs even when not attended where the stove does not. You turn off the propane (at least with the solenoid, but should be done at the valve also) when not cooking, but the fridge stays on all the time.

They seem to be really nice boats and go like stink and you don't even need cup holders! But I like lead under me, so I will go slower, and be more comfortable, but will roll a bit more at anchor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook