SailNet Community - View Single Post - cruising dinghy in currents and beach camping
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: cruising dinghy in currents and beach camping

I understand your desire for the simplicity of being able to just beach the boat and pitch a tent, but I think your options and cruising range will be quite limited. As you are aware, there are many little passes that the current rips through. There are also alot of currents in seemingly open areas. Couple that with the fact that often in the summer there is little or no wind, and you might find it frustrating if not impossible to get where you are going without auxiliary power. A canoe paddle in a dinghy certainly won't cut it. Proper oars and oarlocks might if you are fit and strong. Remember, even if the current is going your way, it can be very risky negotiating some of the passes without power. The eddies can just grab you and spin you around if you don't have enough boatspeed for the rudder to bite. You will be at the mercy of the current until it decides when and where to spit you out, and hopefully you will still be upright and dry when that happens!

I think you should be thinking more about some kind of pocket cruiser with a small outboard.
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook