SailNet Community - View Single Post - Went to the boat for a sail..and its Flooded!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Went to the boat for a sail..and its Flooded!!!

Went to the boat for a quick sail...opened it up, looked in and saw the floor flooded by a few inches...I hit the switch for the bilge pump which is on auto, and no pump...So I proceeded to wet-vac the boat to remove the water and see what it was. My initial thought was the head exploded from the heat...nope thats salt water and its pretty clean. So its coming in the boat...from where? The packing gland is now my thought. It was dripping a bit more than I liked...I talked to the boat yard that hauled it out last year then replaced the stuffing box and they said a few extra drips is better than no drips. Called up KJ who knows the boat well and he said lets look at the packing gland...a STREAM of water was flowing from it. Once I got the bilge dry, I looked at the bilge pump and the positive power wire was broken off. A week ago it was working fine. My initial though since it was Saturday evening was fix the bilge, keep an eye on it until Monday and take it to the boat yard. I called Pat from Balboa Boat Yard who did the work on it last year. He wasnt there but I left a message. He called me back from Lake Arrowhead (great guy!) and told me how to adjust the packing gland. It seemed a bit daunting...but what choice did I have? Grabbed a big channel lock and 90 seconds later the leak was fixed. Now to clean it all up tomorrow...never got to go on that sail...glad this happened in the slip and not 20+ miles offshore. Tomorrow Im going to look at the failed bilge pump...I connected it to new power leads and it fired up..so I'll look at that in more detail...Maybe I'll get that sail after all! The above pic is my initial shock...the ones below are of the water cleaned up...and the packing gland before I cleaned up the area and fixed the leak. You can actually see the stream of water coming from the bottom! I have a second bilge pump a tad bit higher at the lower part of the engine compartment that is HUGE and thats so if the water gets high enough that one will kick on. The water was nowhere near this high. Also nothing was damaged other than the wood covering the bilge which needed replacing anyway...so all in all not too bad of a day! Its still a good day when working on the boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook