SailNet Community - View Single Post - Went to the boat for a sail..and its Flooded!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
re: Went to the boat for a sail..and its Flooded!!!

I have a deep sump/bilge area (the abyss) where my pumps drain from. The large pump is a standard Rule submersible which sits down there somewhere (actually, I have it mounted on a plate which has a line on it to get it up if necessary--it's out of arms reach), the other is an old belt driven, non-submersible that is mounted on a bulkhead. I rewired the entire system with float-less switches that are both mounted, ONE ABOVE THE OTHER, on a pc. of s.s. flat bar that hangs down into the bilge. Two pumps, with switches at different levels IMO is a good idea, especially since the second belt-driven pump is so noisy it would wake the dead! It could also be easily connected to an alarm. In addition to these, I have two manual pumps-one in the cockpit, one on the galley bulkhead that can be operated from below. Electric pumps are great but can go out along with the rest of the electric things.