SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vented Loop Design?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Vented Loop Design?

While trying to route my new transducer cable, I encountered the vented loop from the heat exchanger before it enters the waterlift muffler. I had a choice, undo the two 3/4" hoses, or undo the one ¼" hose.

I decided that rather than messing with two hose clamps, one would be easier - that was a mistake. After I removed the clamp, I could not get the hose to let go of the barb. A little more pressure, and snap, off came the hose with the barb still inside.

So off to WM to get a new one. No joy at the closest WM, so 55 min drive in the other direction where they had 5 in stock. The new vented loop is one with the duckbill valve, and the old one had a barb with a hose.
The original looked more, or less, like this (except it was old - 1987 black plastic);

Here is a pic of the new one;

Because the loop is mounted HORIZONTALLY (not vertically) under the cockpit floor, I was unsure if this new fangled style would work. Fortunately, I found a brass barb fitting that fit, so I bought that too.

I put a little pipe dope on the threads, installed the brass barb, and installed the new vented loop in the old location - after correctly routing the transducer cable.

So, the question for the collective; would the new-fangled style have worked?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook