SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew needed Hyannis MA to Florida
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Crew needed Hyannis MA to Florida

Quote:
Your average weekend sailor would be happy just with the gained experience.
And that's what you get, your average weekend sailor.

Not to dismiss the weekenders but if you're going outside down the coast do you really want someone that putters around in a Bay a bit and maybe is not all that adept in the seamanship dept to say nothing of not knowing how they are at sea. Do they get sick? Do they get up promptly for their watch? Do they use care/caution w/ the boat? Do they follow directions? Are they comfortable being out at sea?

Hell, only ONCE have I ever been expected to pay a portion of the food and it was not a great trip. No details necessary to be aired here.
When I delivered my boat this spring I picked up the tab for EVERYTHING for my buddy that came w/ us. Plane ticket, cab ride, meal ashore, provisions.

Same guy was just on a boat that a friend was delivering and another crew member (who has a captain's license) didn't pull his share, got seasick and couldn't take any medication for it, and was pretty much incompetent on a sailboat. Turned out he was a powerboater who ran some little launch service way inland. Hadn't been offshore and was looking for time to upgrade.

Nah, you get what you pay for, or in this case, NOT.