SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winter under a tarp
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter under a tarp

I've tarped for several years now and am very satisfied. Tarped in October . . . Didn't see the boat again till June. Looked just like when I left it.

The secret:
1) Use the heavier (more expensive) silver tarps rather than the blue ones.
2) I use my bimini frame, boom, and whisker pole (from forward part of mast to bow) as main supports.
3) I make spiderweb of cheap rope from these structures directly to my (slotted) toerail (not over the stanchions) to support the tarp.
4) I attach the long edge of the tarps to the toerail with cable ties and go up and over the center using tarps that go just past the center peak (boom or whisker pole) and then bungee that edge to the toerail on the other side. I repeat the process with another overlapping tarp from the other side cable tied to the toerail and tenting over the middle then bungied to the opposite toerail.
5) Use the bimini frame to continue from what is essentially a boom tent to a cockpit enclosure with a long tarp centered lengthwise.
6) Throw another spiderweb of cheap rope and bungees over the top to keep the tarp from blowing (very important)

90%+ of my materials are reusable for at least several seasons

Holds up to snowloads and winter winds on the waterfront in Duluth/Superior harbor basin.

Good protection but isn't sealed so tight the boat can't breathe. No odors, no mold.

Bungees give the whole setup some needed "give".

I can access almost all parts of my deck and all of my cockpit if I want or need to. I can even open all my hatches for ventilation if working on the boat in the spring.

Actually looks halfway decent when finished.

Takes a long afternoon to rig and a short afternoon to undo. Will never do shrinkwrap. Might go for a custom canvas cover someday.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

Last edited by Mobnets; 08-26-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook