SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew needed Hyannis MA to Florida
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Crew needed Hyannis MA to Florida

I wouldn't say the crew needs "vast experience" but on a lengthy trip such as this I would not be inclined to take someone who has NO offshore experience or at least a lot of time in varying conditions and who is experienced at standing watches round the clock for more than 24 hours.
Maybe if I had 2 or 3 experienced crew I'd take a newbie but things deteriorate real quick if someone you're counting on turns out to be worthless or totally incapacitated and you're shorthanded for some reason that didn't have to be.
All I'm saying is there are a LOT of people who would pay for their share of the provisioning just b/c they want to go offshore but really have no business being offshore.

Hell, I've seen people that had no business doing a 15 hour overnight race on the Bay turn out to be a lump of coal; seasick, couldn't/wouldn't stand watch, didn't really bring any skills to the boat and just wanted the experience of racing overnight. Owner thought he owed the guy b/c he showed up regularly for Wed. nights. We basically were down a man and a half (the guy and someone to check on him periodically)

Conversely, sailing offshore when you know you have a QUALIFIED person to run the boat is quite enjoyable when you're off watch. And taking someone who is looking for experience wouldn't be bad. I'd still pay for all the provisioning though.

Last edited by sailordave; 08-27-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook