SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 37 info?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Islander 37 info?

Anyone familiar with the Bruce King designed Islander 37 from the late 1960's? Any thoughts on build quality, design, sailing characteristics, problem areas, etc.? Given that they are getting very old, I'm well aware that condition and maintenance are key.

I've read most of what's available online about the I37, but it's very limited. I'm quite familiar with the later Alan Gurney designed Islander 36, but other than being a successor to the I37, they don't have much in common.

There's an I37 at my marina that may becoming on the market in the near future and I think I might be interested, if for no other reason than she's a very pretty boat. My initial concerns from just eyeballing the design on the docks is that I don't care for the lack of a proper anchoring platform (why is this so common on 1960's/1970's boats?) and the very low boom which makes a dodger/bimini difficult. I also have concerns about the prop placement behind the rudder. Will this severly limit low speed (docking) control? Will cavitation be an issue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook