SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kid overboad plan
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Kid overboad plan

Thanks, svHyLyte. Certainly appreciate the insights. Never meant to suggest that I'd take unreasonable risks for the sake of fun, because that's definitely not me. Perhaps sailing on my lake up here is a different experience than what others have on the ocean. I don't think tethering here on this lake on most days can fairly be analogized to wearing a seatbelt in the car.

Just out of curiosity, what did you tether to, how long was the tether, where could your daughter go while tethered? Our rule is that when we're underway, our son has his feet on the cockpit floor or his butt on a cockpit seat. If he follows that rule, it would be virtually impossible for him to go over, but nothing is certain. I just see the tether getting hung up, wrapped around legs, etc., but since I haven't tried it guess I really can't comment.

I will try the suggestion about the seat cushion. Again, I think it must be a bit different up here on the lake. Growing up with a power boat on this lake and water skiing/wake boarding, I've never really had a problem seeing a person in the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook