SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew Wanted 5+ days MD to Cape Cod Aug 2nd
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012

Location: See my blog SailingAquinnah.blogspot.com. Maine to the warm Islands down South
JohnZion is on a distinguished road
Re: Crew Wanted 5+ days MD to Cape Cod Aug 2nd

A BIG THANK YOU TO THE CREW - Ian, Brian and David!!!

We had a great trip, and made it from Annapolis, MD to just off Martha’s Vineyard, MA in just 3 days! To Cape Cod it took 3 1/2 days. Set sail Thursday evening with following winds, and went up the Chesapeake with a full moon. It was beautiful.

Hit the C & D canal in the morning, the Delaware Bay in the afternoon [very rough as David already said] and went offshore Friday night.

Went outside of Long Island, direct to Cape Cod. Very good passage, mild weather, sailed for 2 days on the same tack. Caught no fish, but had good pancakes, cooked by Ian.

Arrived off Martha’s Vineyard around 10 PM Sunday night. Gusting to 35 knots, rough confused seas, tossing the boat all over the place. We were doing 7.5 knots [passed hull speed] with a large-beach-towel-sized bit of jib. Boat and crew handled it all well. We took turns at the helm all night long, tacking 40 miles offshore [we did not want to come into the shifting shallows, sandbars and narrow channels of the area in such dark, rough weather].

Next morning was calmer and we arrived in Cotuit, were we anchored in a protected cove off a nice beach. Where I remained for 5 days.

Thanks again to the great crew. Nice job guys! I think our skills and temperaments meshed pretty well.

PS - Last two weeks have been spent sailing out to Martha’s Vineyard several times [Edgartown and Vineyard Haven], out to Cuttyhunk with 4 friends for my birthday, and up into Buzzards Bay. Have been anchoring and staying at a free mooring a friend found me in Woods Hole.

This week plan to head for Maine, with a crew [for 5 days] of my mother and father. Will then spend September cruising the beautiful islands of Maine, were I lived for several years.

Soooooo, looking for crew here and there for Maine for September, and then for the sail back to Cape Cod end of September. I will post a 'crew wanted'.

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook