SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace standing rigging?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: Replace standing rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
The way the fittings are crimped is sloppy and uneven. The thimble is not supposed to be touching the fitting. It just looks like it was done by someone who hasn't done it much before, perhaps with a cheap set of crimpers. (hopefully the correct crimpers!)

I also wouldn't trust it because there appears to be a great deal of corrosion on the wire, and likely in the fittings. Perhaps it is just the lighting in the photo, but stainless wire rope should be silver not brown!

I'm not sure what you mean by "The thimble is not supposed to be touching the fitting".
If you mean it's not supposed to be touching the Nico Press fitting then you're not correct. The thimble should be touching, but not deforming the thimble. With that kind of wire, it's sometimes difficult to get it just right.
From what I can see, whoever did this did a pretty good job.
They left a little more tail than I would have, but that's about all I see wrong with it. And that's not wrong at all. It's just a personal preference.
I would wager that this was fabricated by a fairly experienced rigger. Each NicoPress fitting has three presses. It was double sleeved. It is tight around the thimble. And that's not particularly easy for 1x19.

The turnbuckle is open body bronze and in a perfect world would have a toggle on the bottom, but it's not really necessary for a shroud.

Really, this doesn't look bad, unusual, diy, or unsafe. Why are we trying to scare the poor guy about his rigging?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook