SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat Quality
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailboat Quality

Over the years I have found that perceptions fuel a lot of the opinions on what "quality" is in boats. I recall back in the early 70's the Taiwan leaky teakies - Formosa, CT, Island Trader etc. 41's were seen as the epitome of quality, largely due to all the teak and bronze bits. At the same time Columbias were seen as inferior quality because they had so much plastic - liners etc.

40 years on those perceptions have been turned on their head - we all know the failings of the Taiwan boats of that era and most of the Columbias are still sailing with their original decks and masts.

Which is not to say that there aren't actual differences in build quality in boats - a Swan IS better built than a Hunter. For 3-4-5 times the price it BETTER be.

Value is an equally important attribute unless you have an unlimited budget or intend sailing in high latitudes or other demanding circumstances.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook