SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace standing rigging?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: Replace standing rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Yes, a nicropress done correctly is strong. a nicropress done incorrectly, not so much! I was on a 30' race boat that had a wire strop on the mainsheet that held fine for several seasons, then one particularly windy day a gust hit and the strop parted. It pulled the end right out of the nicro. It looked fine, but it wasn't.

I guess what looks good to some does not look good to others! I would not do business with a rigger who used nicropress on my shrouds, but that is just me. It certainly is not a common thing to see in my experience, which isn't to say it's not common in other circles.

That pic rings alarm bells to me, and looks fine to others. At the very least get a professional rigger to inspect it.
Okay, Say your a rigger. Someone comes to you with a boat that was rigged like this and has been sailing, without issue for the last fifteen or twenty years or so.
He says that he "wants to do it right".
So you tell him that the most common way is to use swage fitting instead of Nico Presses. The only thing is that swages are going to cost him considerably more.
Additionally, the mast tangs should be changed now because the holes in the existing ones are much too big for a swage fitting.
So now he's looking at spending a lot more for something that is going to do exactly what the rig that would cost half as much has been doing for the last decade or so.

It's tough to sell that all the time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook