SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace standing rigging?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Replace standing rigging?

With two Nicopress fittings, there is nothing wrong with it. You can actually SEE the crimps unlike any of the swageless fittings some of which have very questionable results in controlled tests. I would actually trust something like this maybe more than any of the slick swageless eyes and forks. After some research, I used Suncor swageless to replace all my rigging ends but I gotta tell you, when you tighten the things up you are really putting a lot of trust in the engineering. My second choice would be Sta-Lok. GOB magazine had a good piece on swage ends a few years back.

That wire looks corroded which should be more of a worry than the crimps. The other thing to worry about doing it that way is getting cut by the wire ends which should be wrapped with some nice white rigging tape. I use them on my main halyard shackle and wrap it tightly with tape. Actually all the wire to rope halyards use them to attach the shackle but that's flexible wire. You can buy a perfectly good hand swager for these for just a few bucks. It does the same thing as the $300.00 swager. Neither is a commercial swage press--a completely different animal. It takes a while to do them carefully by hand but it works fine. It is also a good idea to keep a bunch of crimps, some spare wire, and a small swager aboard in case you need to jury rig something.