My suggestion would be to split the difference and do Suttons Bay for launch. Then you can make your sailing decisions based on the wind. There are good facilities for launch at Elmwood in Traverse City, at the municipal marinas in Suttons Bay and Northport. Suttons Bay is in the middle and they have transient slips and you can anchor
in the bay or Omena Bay dependent on the wind. Northport and TC both have transient slips as well. However, this is the last hurrah weekend for most and you can almost count on most to be packed. The following weekend will be no problem.
If you are camping seperate from the boat your options are Leelanau State park at the tip of the penninsula about 8 miles north of Northport or one of the campgrounds on Lake Leelanau. Leelanau State Park is rustic and also has cabins if they are not already booked for Labor Day.
Right now they are forecasting plenty of wind to start the weekend. The big lake will be running at 5-8' Thursday to Saturday. Another reason to stay in the Bay as the fetch is not bad except from the N. Hope it changes or my trip to Beaver Is. and Mackinac Is. will be postponed.