SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can't get my windows to stop leaking!
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can't get my windows to stop leaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdeevers View Post
I thought I was posted in "North American" as in "Spirit 23",
OOPs..... sorry - missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdeevers View Post
... they are plastic frames. Outside looks like UV degeneration, inside just broken. The 1/4" Lexan (or what ever) just sits into the outer frame. When it rains water just drips from the lowest point inside so I can't see what is actually leaking on the out side. When I look it all looks nicely beaded outside??

Thanks
Pete
If the frames themselves are not cracked/leaking and you can actually dissasemble them then cleaning them up, reinstalling and rebedding the frames (and the lenses in the frames) with Dow Corning 795 should take care of it for you. Avoid using high strength adhesives like 4200 or 5200.

If the frames are damaged, there are aftermarket companies that make very nice replacement ports but they are not inexpensive. If that's not for you then the option of bolting/gluing on slightly oversize acrylic ports may be worth considering, again using DC 795. There are several references to this process elsewhere on this and other sites.

Good luck.. few things more of a PITA than persistent rain leaks.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook