SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 44 information
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012

JeffPaes is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander 44 information

Since I am also in the later stages of resurrecting a 1979 Islander Peterson 40 [#005], I watched the video of the 41 – Lapworth designed the 44 in 1966 and I found it striking that the interior looks pretty much exactly like my P40 designed in 1979. The only exception is that the floor grates and bilge access are totally different.

I love the way the P40 sails, she is fast with a PHRF of 80 compared to the 120 for the L44. The deep heavy fin keeps her upright and sliding through the water on all points of sail.

The L44 has a rated draft of 5.3. Do you find this to run true? While the P40 has a rated draft of 7.2, I find after measuring that my boat draws closer to 7.5. This is an issue in the large lake where I sail just north of Atlanta. The center of the lake is very deep but the sides and coves are very shallow with under water ridges all over the place so I have to keep a close eye on the depth meter when sailing with other boats that draw 4-5 feet.

Since there were only about 3 dozen of the P40’s built between 79 and Islander closing up, I find almost no information on the boat. Wish there was more.

Jeff
s/v Taka
Atlanta, GA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook