SailNet Community - View Single Post - Varnish. AAAGH!
Thread: Varnish. AAAGH!
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Varnish. AAAGH!

Before we found this boat we had a big list of likes and dislikes. I absolutely said NO PILOTHOUSE and NOTHING WITH LOTS OF WOOD. Well, we found this boat at about 1/3rd to 1/5th of market value and guess what? It's a pilothouse with 2 1/2 acres of wood to care for.
Varnish, sanded & oiled, Cetol, or bare wood?
Dock Lord swears that Cetol is absolutely the only way to go and he will fight to the death to defend it. He's the Holy Roller of the marina.
The Marina Expert will go on and on about how "REAL CRUISERS" only sand their teak and leave it bare. He should lead a teak care Sunday School to indoctrinate them when they're young.
Greybeard Dock Emperor #3 insists that if you leave it bare or even just oiled your teak will split and crack and probably spontaneously fly right off of the boat without any warning. Fire and Brimstone Preacherman.
Bellyman is a devout clear shiny varnisharian. Any deviation will land you in purgatory or hell, no exceptions. A kind and reasonable pastoral Varnish Prophet.
The Snake Charmer. A Loving wooden boat owner who has won boat shows swears by Epifanes Clear Wood Gloss. She prosletyzes daily in a Bay Area Chandlery for your convenience.
I have meditated long and hard. I fasted. I crawled on my knees for several miles to the chandlery seeking enlightenment. I prostrated myself before the exotic wood lumberyard.
I've determined that pride in the face of Teak is my path. I will varnish. VARNISH with the shiniest, clearest, most luminescent product that I can find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook