SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing to St Mary's
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing to St Mary's

I believe the dock used by Tangier Island Cruises is owned by the park, and Allen Tyler probably leases it from the park. Inside Lake Conoy, the basin is fairly deep, about 7 to 8 feet, but as posed above, it's real easy to run aground on the shoal. It's also easy to run aground on the 1/4-mile long sand bar that runs from the point out to Point Lookout Tower.

If the wind's blowing from the north or northeast, you can always anchor outside the lake in the shelter of the hook itself near Jobs Rock. The bottom here is hard sand and with enough scope holding is relatively good. This is NOT a good place to anchor when the wind is coming from a southerly direction.

The next closest sheltered area in the Potomac is Smith Creek, which is where Point Lookout Marina is located. Smith Creek is about 6 miles upriver from Point Lookout state park.

Solomons is a great place to explore, lots of restaurants and bars, not sure if the Tiki Bar is still there, but it was always a good place for the younger crowds. There's good anchorage in the nearby creeks. You can sail upriver for several miles, but once you get above the Route 4 Bridge the channel narrows down a bit.

Reedville really didn't have much for sightseeing that I can recall, and if the menhaden rendering plant is operating you definitely don't want to be downwind of the plant. The smell will make anyone gag.

Good Luck,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook