SailNet Community - View Single Post - An eye opener for installing solar panels!
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: An eye opener for installing solar panels!

Wow I am amazed that article published so fast. My friend Bruce and Nigel were just working on this back in June. They also made some interesting comparisons between solar controllers which I assume will be another article coming out of that testing.

I have been harping on the proper placement of solar panels on boats for a loooong time. So many are poorly installed and result in very poor performance. It is good to see someone like Nigel weighing in as folks seem to listen to what he says.

Bottom line is this:

Poor locations:

Dodger, under boom, on boom etc. all = horrible locations for solar.

More Appropriate Locations:

Bimini top, stern davits, stern pole.

Even the slight shading from a backstay can literally cripple a panels performance...

Here's a quick video I made for a customer who was rather adamant he wanted his solar panel on top of the dodger under the boom.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook