SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing opportunities for Wounded Vets???
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012

smcurry is on a distinguished road
Sailing opportunities for Wounded Vets???

Hi all, I'm a wounded Vet. I served in the Army for 5 years and I'm a below-knee amputee as a result of an IED blast in Iraq back in late '06. I had the chance to sail with some friends out in San Diego a few years ago and it's been a goal of mine to learn ever since. Up until now, I just haven't had the time. Well, now my schedule's changed a bit and I have the time so my interest is sparked again.

I've noticed there are a few organizations on the west coast that give wounded/disabled Vets the opportunity to learn to sail. Unfortunately, I'm in northern Virginia, just a little west of DC and haven't been able to find any equivalent opportunities out here.

Does anyone here know of any such thing in the Northern VA, DC, Annapolis area. My short term goal is ASA 101 certification. Then maybe join a club for a few years to get a feel for different boats and get competent and confident out on the Chesapeake. Ultimately I want to buy my own boat that I'd be able to sail anywhere, be it up to Maine, or down to the Bahamas. Transpac is on my bucket list as well...

If someone has a crew opportunity to offer, feel free to shoot me an email: smcurry (eight) (three) @ gmail.com.

Thanks in advance for any help. - Steven

Last edited by smcurry; 09-03-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook