SailNet Community - View Single Post - How Can I Lift My 21-Foot Sailboat Off Its Trailer?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: How Can I Lift My 21-Foot Sailboat Off Its Trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDragon View Post
Hi - Newbie Sailor Here...

I have a 1972 MacGreggor Venture 21 currently in a slip - but come mid-October, I'm going to put it on its trailer for the winter. As I want to work on the keel over the winter (it has a swing-keel), I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how I might be able to lift it off the trailer and put it on blocks (by myself). Because I'm not wealthy, I'm hoping there's a way I can use wood beams and jacks, or SOMETHING to accomplish this.

Thank you in advance for any advice, information or suggestions.
Marc
Marc, you will need a bottle jack, an assortment of wood blocks. 4x4s 6x6s etc. And some stands. At least four. Two per side. Three per side is better.

What you do is jack up the boat and block the keel, fore and aft, just behind the crossbeams or axles of the trailer. Brace the boat with stands until the trailer is free. You will have to adjust the stands up as you jack the boat. Be sure to keep the boat from leaning to one side or the other. Then move the trailer up until the next cross beam is up against the blocks.
Then repeat. Block the boat on the other side of the beam or axle and move the trailer as far as you can.
After repeating this a few times, you boat will be sitting on blocks and supported by stands.
It's a simple process. Just be careful.
I've done this on fairly large boats working by myself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook