SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why Cruisers seem to motor a LOT form my attempts to cruise this summer :)
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Why Cruisers seem to motor a LOT form my attempts to cruise this summer :)

Hey,

I hear you guys. We had a trip earlier in the year where we went from Mt. Sinai NY to Clinton CT and then back a few days later. The trip there was 30nm of boring motorsailing where we never had more than 2-3 kts of wind. The trip home was a little better and we were able to sail with the engine off for about 5 nm otherwise it was motorsailing.

That's why, a few weeks later, when we had a forecast for steady southerly winds for a few days, and over a weekend, I said 'screw everything else' and sailed from Mt. Sinai to Northport and then back. It was the two best sailing days of my life. The engine was used to get out of Mt. Sinai and then to grab the mooring in Northport, and then the opposite the next days.

I have learned that there is rarely wind before 2:00pm, and usually some wind from 2-8 pm. Also, I am just about done with scheduled trips. If the wind of good I will go, otherwise, it's not real fun to motor motor motor.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook