SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

We are not doing the race this year but a couple of things for future reference ....

There has been a fair bit of dredging going on in the channel and I believe it is now a minimum three metres deep. That is inside the bridge. You would still need to go over the coal seam at high tide.

Mate of ours who lives on the lake will come out and give you a tilt over the shallows. Its something of a bizarre experience but thats how we got in and out last year. He takes your spinnaker halyard to his boat and away he goes. Price was a brick of Becks.

The Toronto MYC who sponsor the event is a fabulous wee club. Gave us a free mooring for a couple of weeks after the race before we bought our girl back to Sydney.

I'd highly recommend doing the race when they finally move it to later in the year. Quite frankly the weather end of September is usually rubbish and last year it was 24 hours of sheer and utter misery even in what was probably the most comfortable boat in the race. Rain , freezing temperatures , plus 35 knots wind on the nose and for freaks sake HAIL. Oh yes and we plus 35 again on the nose coming up from Sydney though going back was not too bad.

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-31-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook