SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bahamas Trailer Sailing Logistics
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-01-2012 Thread Starter
pwdude

Bahamas Trailer Sailing Logistics

I want to sail my trailerable boat to the Bahamas from Florida, and I have some questions about logistics. I don't live in Florida. So, I'm not familiar with the departure points. Hence, first set of questions - what are some good options for departure points in Florida that:
1-have a launch ramp?
2-have a secure place to park my truck and trailer?
3-are good departure points to get to Bimini?
4-can reasonable get back to when flying back from Bimini?

Second set of questions - I believe I understand the costs and options of leaving my boat in the Bahamas, and I found a few comments in the forums on where to haul and store my boat in Abaco. Anyone have a favorite place to haul and store in Abaco? Why?

Third set of questions - what do I need to have in terms of licenses if I want to fish on the trip across the stream? If I show up in Bimini wish fish in the cooler and a quarantine flag raised, is that OK? Do I need a Florida license too?

Fourth set of questions - I've read a l little in the forums about crossing the Gulf Stream at certain times of year. If I have the flexibility to go whenever I want to, what are the best months for crossing? Why?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for any advice you have to share!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome