SailNet Community - View Single Post - Digital vs. Analog engine gauges
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Digital vs. Analog engine gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"why I don't see more digital engine gauges on the market. "
Because the analog gauges are all pretty much just voltmeters and voltmeters are cheap. And in the aftermath of Three Mile island (really) a lot of research was done about gauges and humans watching them.
A digital display requires a brain to process the numbers and some attention to them. An analog display just requires pattern recognition, which the mind does at a much lower faster level. i.e. "The needle should be THERE" and when the folks who install the gauges do their job properly, all the needles will be pointing the same way when things are normal, so all your eye has to see is "Hey, that one's different" to spot a problem.
Really. That's why you'll oftne see race cars with the tach "twisted" to some odd position, so the needle is pointing "there" when everything is right, as opposed to always being oriented like a clock face. Cheaper, more effective. And more waterproof too, I'd bet.
Interesting. Had never thought of installing them in a similar optimal position, and it makes sense. Don't know about the waterproof issue though...As I said, all my other gauges are digital. They are fully exposed to weather and have performed without a hitch for at least 7 years.

Last edited by L124C; 09-03-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook