Originally Posted by old-sailer
Can I pass on a little chemistry that was given to me.... take the advise of leave it. Up to you....
When fighting mould chlorine actually feeds the mould. It bleaches the mould so it appears to disappear but in fact it's still there and will return quickly.
Vinegar, plain white vinegar kills 95% of mould on contact. Buy a garden weed sprayer and a 4 litre jug of white vinegar and using a fine spray do all those hidden places on your boat. Yes it will smell like french fries for a couple of days but with good ventilation that will dissipate.
Follow up with a mould preventer sold at any good marine store.
Mount a solar fan in the top of a hatch to ensure good continuous ventilation and you will keep mould to a minimum.
I like this idea, it's not actually my bilge that I am talking about. Its the area under the floor Forward of the bilge. I did install a mini 12v computer fan to a through hull passive vent line in the engine compartment area. This seemed to really help with the overall smell so far.