SailNet Community - View Single Post - A boat story
Thread: A boat story
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012

GC20Squid is on a distinguished road
A boat story

Once upon a time, I found a boat. After much saving and shopping and cajoling of my wife, I bought a Hunter 25 that was perfect for my needs and budget. It was clean, the motor started, the sails were intact, it just needed a little freshening up since the previous owner hadn't had time to mess with it lately.

When I went to move it across the bay to its new slip, the main halyard parted. The jib halyard was equally worn, so rather than stress it I just motored it across.

A few short days after reaching the new marina, before I had a chance to do any work to it, I found a very compelling reason to initiate a divorce. And so the boat sat, my priorities and resources being elsewhere needed. I made everything fast and prepared to go sailing "later". I couldn't lower and stow the jib, however, because the stainless shackle holding it into the roller furler was frozen. I wound it as tight as I could and tied it off. A freak windstorm came along one day and unrolled a small corner of the jib. Flog. Flog. Goodbye backstay.

Now we didn't just need a couple of new halyards. We needed new standing and running rigging, and professional sail- and furler- work. The soon-to-be-ex didn't know this, however.

Divorce mediation comes. She goes for the heart, knowing how I had dreamed and saved for that boat, despite her frequently voice complete lack of interest in sailing. I let it go, knowing it's more of a liability than an asset. She wants to take the boat as punishment, so I take other assets in exchange. We both "win".

Fast forward three years:
I have a more intelligent, more attractive, more emotionally stable, FAITHFUL wife who shares my dream of sailing. I have a brilliant 10 month old son. I'm shopping for the new boat. To be continued.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook