SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing opportunities for Wounded Vets???
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing opportunities for Wounded Vets???

Hi Steven,
I get it. You've got the drive to learn to sail and don't want to mess around on these weekend leisure cruises. Best way to learn and learn fast is through racing.

There are some fantastic para sailing fleets that have a very active racing communities and I'm sure they'd love to have you in their ranks. The guys that race the 2.4mR class are usually serious racers and fantastic sailors - no weekend pleasure sailing mumbo jumbo. I'd contact a local 2.4mR group by finding them online, or maybe yahoo group or the class association and go from there.

If it were me, I'd be trying to get my hands on a 2.4mR (The International 2.4 Metre Class Association) boat through finding a local club that races these. They look like a pile of fun and wish I had a chance to race them. You won't be cruising off into the sunset with one, but after learning to sail it, you'll have the sailing skill to get you anywhere.

There are other classes of boats to learn on as well, but it sounds like the 2.4mR is what you're after.
Cheers.
JordanH
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook