SailNet Community - View Single Post - Enging/starter battery pretends to be good but....
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Enging/starter battery pretends to be good but....

The boat is new to me and when purchased the previous owner replaced ALL 4 house batteries (not the best but suspect we all would have done the same) and the engine/starter was assessed to be "good".

I'm having trouble starting the boat, the battery won't turn it over. Yet, I took the battery out, took it to Advance auto, they tested it under load and told me it was good. They charged it and said it was fine!? When all the batteries are checked with a digital multi-meter the house come back at 13.02 +/- .01 and the starter is at about 12.65, no better, water level(s) are good. The system charges off of a MasterVolt that has 3 LED type indicators to show you the state of the batteries and how full they are. With the multi-meter on the terminals of the charger it gives 13.02s for both circuits. In general the third lights to tell me that both banks are full (suspect).

When I splashed the boat and tried to leave for the first time (I had the boat on a pig-tail on the hard and was generally charging, or so I thought) the boat would not start, tried pulling forward the brand new house batteries (they are dual use starter/deep cycle; remember he went cheapest) but that didn't help. The yard brought out the little jumper/briefcase thing and it cranked over the diesel on the first turn of the key.

For whatever reason there are two Perkos on the boat when one would seem to handle this system. The lower one is wired directly to the starter. Contact to the starter is immaculate, cleaned the ground to the engine, checked multiple connecctions etc etc...am at a loss.

the 13V from the charger seems a bit low from what I read? Any thouhts?
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook