SailNet Community - View Single Post - Remove (trilens) radar reflector from mast?
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 09-03-2012 Thread Starter
Re: Remove (trilens) radar reflector from mast?

Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
Correct 70% average of 25% of minimum needed return makes it the least worthless of the completely worthless and still adds nothing to your safety with large shipping. But It should help the 30 ft fishing boats out there from hitting you.

Practical Sailor is using a 2.5 sq. meter as a minimum.
ISO uses 7.5 and UK government uses 10 sq meters and warns that that will really not be seen.
Your boating safety dollar is wasted on these products and a $25 dollar model will keep you in regs.
Yes, 2.5sq meter was considered adequate, and therefore was the standard until a few years ago. Now the standard has been changed to 10 sq m.

But, if I may, can I come back to my original question? It was not whether or not to BUY a trilens reflector. This is (for me) a moot question since I have one for several years on my mast. The question was whether it makes sense to take it off the mast and hoist it to the spreaders when needed.

From the discussion so far, it seems nobody has a strong argument against this, so given the disadvantages of its present location (halyard wrap), I will likely to proceed with my plan.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome