SailNet Community - View Single Post - Enging/starter battery pretends to be good but....
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Re: Enging/starter battery pretends to be good but....

Thanks for the thoughts.

This mornings actions.

Put one of the new batteries for the starter and no change? Disconnected the cable from the "fusible link" (which is good or appears good) and skipped it and engine started?! OK that's good. But why does fusible link which has a good copper link visible and with the multimeter shows resistance of .04 kill my start sequence. Cleaned the link with a brass wire brush and all connections to the link and rewired correctly and it started. Really? where was the decay or corrosion in this connection? I couldn't see it.

OK, now I need to be sure that the new battery will start the boat after a 24 hr period of doing everything we've been doing for a week. So I put the "new" battery in the starter slot, the old battery into the house bank and try and start the engine again--no go! Dead again. OK, now I remove the old battery from the house bank and go with new battery in starter, 3 new batteries in bank and the old battery as ballast. Engine starts. Clearly the old battery MUST be bad when others tell me it is good? Thoughts?

Now it gets weirder; with engine running alternator is pushing 14.05 volts to starter battery. Good. NOTHING is going to the house; the house is sitting at 12.7ish and nothing is coming from the alternator to the house. We tried multiple configurations of the Perko(s); recall this has two for reasons unknown. Always careful to not go to off and fry the alternator.

Course of action; let the day progress normally and see if current configuration will start the boat tomorrow AM, doing everything like we have in the past week. If so more indications that the old battery is good for recycle. Next issue is why alternator (really the wiring) skips the house bank?
Any thoughts on how to track this?

The perko leaflet (it's just one small little paper) has some various wiring that does NOT apply to me but it does say that after sitting a LONG time cycling quickly and forcibly through the switches can prove helpful....anyone ever had success with that? But that wouldn't explain the no alternator charge to the house.

clear as mud? Same at this end.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook