SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why Cruisers seem to motor a LOT form my attempts to cruise this summer :)
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Why Cruisers seem to motor a LOT form my attempts to cruise this summer :)

i make about 70 trips on the Chesapeake's upper reaches each year, most of which usually involve some motoring, usually in the Havre de Grace, MD channel. Most of the excursions range from 30 to 60 miles per day. During mid summer, the prevailing winds are usually southwesterly of 5 to 10, with some part of the day where the wind is dead calm. Fortunately, there are exceptions. Three days ago I motored five minutes from the dock, put up the sails, and sailed 42 miles south to Fairlee Creek. The wind averaged about 15 though much of the day from the west, which meant just a few tacks to reach our destination. About 2 miles from the mouth of Fairlee Creek the wind dropped to zero, black flies invaded the boat and gnawed on our legs, despite a liberal dose of Skin So Soft. We anchored for the night, rolled out about 9 a.m., sailed up the bay to Betterton, the wind died, storm clouds were on the western horizon, so I fired up the Tin Lizzy and motored 11 miles back to the marina. The Betterton area was slammed with a violent thundershower, but the marina never got a drop.

Just a typical day on Chesapeake Bay,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook