SailNet Community - View Single Post - Alberg 37 Pros and Cons?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Personally, I've always like the Alberg designs for traditional full-keel monohulls...but they're too slow for me... so I don't normally sail on one. I crew on one fairly often though...

Glad to help...

The real reason I asked whether you had stepped aboard any of the boats in question, is that I had a co-worker who spent two years researching boats...and bought his "dream boat" after whittling the selection down... never stepped aboard the boat before he bought it...and ended up hating the boat... even though the cabin layout looked great on paper—it wasn't right for him and there were a lot of little things on the boat that drove him crazy. He ended up selling it about two months later... frustrated as h3ll and back on the hunt.

When he asked me about what to do next...I said... did you ever sail, sleep, or even get aboard the boat before you bought it... specifications and drawings are nice and all...but they won't tell you if the boat sings to your heart. If the boat irritates you...or there are major things that just bug you about a boat, like the layout of the galley... don't get it. Changing some of those things just aren't cost-effective in many cases. The boat I have now, I sailed on five or six of her sister ships before I bought mine... and I loved sailing on them all, even the mutant one with the extra tall rig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-19-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook