SailNet Community - View Single Post - Digital vs. Analog engine gauges
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Digital vs. Analog engine gauges

Contacted Cruz Pro regarding several issues. Their response was interesting:

"Our digital gauges all have built in user-settable low and high alarms so your existing alarm senders become redundant. You may find that you can replace the existing ON/OFF senders with proper resistive senders and screw them into the same fittings as the existing alarm senders.

To display alternator output you need to be able top place a current shunt in the negative leg of the alternator. This is easy If your alternator has a floating negative output but very difficult if your alternator negative is connected to the alternator case. The CruzPro A60 (CruzPro A30 Digital Amps Gauge) is the only digital ammeter that we manufacture. Some of our battery monitors such as the VAH60, VAH65 and VAH110 also have a built-in ammeter function as well as the voltmeters.

The current that our LCD voltmeters draw is very low however (only about 0.035 amps) at maximum backlight intensity. Even a small 90 amp 12V battery would run the voltmeter for months."

So it seems the current draw isn't an issue. I could set an alarm on the AMP and Volt meter to alert me when the current dropped below a certain level. Seems even more fool proof than aligning the analog needles. Not clear on the "floating negative output" I think my alternator has a negative wire. Anyone know for a Yamar 2GM20?

Last edited by L124C; 09-03-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook