SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'm intrigued .... what happened ... is it a tidal thing that is causing your problems ?
I always assumed so. Here is a typical tide chart for our area:

Basically my experience is that I've always had a swivel of some kind on my anchors (except stern anchors, but with them you don't swing) and never really tried anchoring without one. Around here the tides and winds cause you to shift around quite a bit.

The snafu to which I refer is the first time I put my shiny (actually quite dull) galvanized shackle on and anchored overnight. In the AM I started winching it up and pretty soon it was jamming in the manual windlass and was obviously badly twisted. I had to manually untwist the section between the windlass and bow roller for over an hour, one foot at a time. Maybe it was a fluke but I didn't give it a second chance. I put my stainless swivel back on and never had a problem since.

I don't see how it could untwist while coming up either. If you've got 200ft out and it's only 40ft deep then you have to pull in 160ft of twisted chain before it has a chance to untwist while coming up. Then again, never mind the science of it all, what I care about is results! People say they do it (even in my waters) without a swivel, so I think I should try it also and see what happens. Heck according to the theory of things my galvy one should have worked!

MedSailor