SailNet Community - View Single Post - Center Cockpits
Thread: Center Cockpits
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
For living aboard a center cockpit is wonderful. We've now had 3 and 2 aft cockpit boats and would never go back.
Like: Aft cabin and big bed & privacy, makes boat seem smaller when steering and visibility is excellent all around. Can fully enclose cockpit for a "sun room" . Lots of storage space below.
Dislike: Less on deck storage/lockers. Can't handle dock lines from the wheel. Tougher to rig wind vane. Tend to be a bit "clunky" looking under 40+ feet...though boats like the Bristols and Passports & Tayanas show that a pretty shear line is not an aft cockpit exclusive!
Many people talk about increased windage or a wet ride but I don't find this to be the case in terms of the boats I've owned. I see a lot more Condo-Aft cockpit boats sailing at anchor than Bristols!
The only thing I didn't like about Bristols was the centerboard for Blue-water. Not that lots haven't done it...just my own preference.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook