SailNet Community - View Single Post - Center Cockpits
Thread: Center Cockpits
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Tougher to rig wind vane. .
In general I prefer the look of an aft cockpit and I prefer skippering an aft cockpit but for long term cruising a plus 40' centre cockpit has some great advantages. Privacy on a small boat is never easily found but having the shed out the back is a good step on the way. Under 40' centre cockpits with decent sized aft cabins can look like a floating brick while the better looking ones have next to useless aft cabins. Only major point I'd make about this debate is about security at anchor. When I bought my previous boat she had an undersized Danforth anchor with only about 5 metres of chain. Before I got that fixed we dragged a couple of times. Sleeping up front I heard the dragging anchor so all was well but doubt I would hear it if I was 40' further back.

That said, Cam, how did you overcome the wind vane self steering problem or did to just go electric ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook