SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living Aboard!
Thread: Living Aboard!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Living Aboard!

You know everyone has there own story to tell and advice to give and much can be learned, but you need to digest it all and go your own way. That being said I can tell you my experiences after more than 20 years of living aboard. I bought my first sailboat when in my early 30's having never sailed before. I did not have the intent to live aboard, but rather to explore the Cheaspeake. Prior to moving to the bay area I always loved the water and owned a large row boat with a 25 hp outboard to explore inland lakes where I lived. Sailing seemed to me like a better way to explore. ...and it was in all ways. Not only did I like exploration I enjoyed backpacking and it became a luxury to "camp out" in the boat at remote anchorages. As time went on the liveaboard bug bite me and I sold that boat and bought a larger sailboat which my wife at the time and I could live aboard. A few comments about living aboard. Choose a good marina where transients from all over the world stay. That in itself is priceless. Have your boat setup where you can go out for a day sail without having to put much stuff away. I lived for a number of years without refrigeration, however the ice box that I had was well insulated and a 20 lb of block ice would last over a week even in the heat of the Cheaspeake summer. Plus it was convient getting that ice. I also had a seperate shower aboard and never did have problems with condensation with the exception of very cold days when the temperature dipped into the teens. Thankfully those days were few and far between.

I've learned that it's not so much about the destination but rather the journey that's important. Good luck in your journey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook