SailNet Community - View Single Post - Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone know of a galvanized anchor swivel that will actually swivel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
No swivel here and I anchor over 300 days a year.

I have only had a twisted chain once and we were anchored in the same spot for over a couple of months.
Some anchor winches put some twist in the chain, which may be your problem.

If you do use a swivel make it a very good one and put a few links of chain between the anchor and the swivel. Even the good swivels are not very strong with a side load which is the usual failure mode. Chain between the anchor and swivel stops the possibility of a large side load.
Thanks for the advice! I had recently read about the side loading problem and was planning on putting a few links in front of the swivel. It's interesting though that many of the swivels out today, like my stainless one, market themselves as being designed to connect directly to the anchor. I was convinced by the photos of sheared swivels in the anchoring book I read though, so I'll be adding the extra links. It's starting to look like a lot of extra links now though: Anchor, shackle, few links, shackle, swivel, chain....

I wonder if it is my winch, but it sure would be nice to go without the extra bits. Next time I try going without I'll do it in shallower water than last time though...

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook