SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post

Like our dear friend bl, I've used the West pumps through gallons of resins, and I've never been disappointed with the mix. But those pumps aren't cheap (make that inexpensive) and that always rubbed me a little against the grain.

Fast forward a couple of projects. I had numerous spots that needed the strength of epoxy but not the volume even one pump of the West pumps delivered. I wound up using some MAS epoxy, which has a 2:1 mix ratio. Looking for the convenience of the metered pump (but without the cost) I raided our recycling bin and pulled out a couple of Dial liquid hand soap dispensers. I cleaned them up and grabbed our digital kitchen scale. I did some consistency checks using water as the medium, comparing the weight of single and multiple strokes of both pumps. Guess what? They were pretty much dead on. So, after charging them with the MAS resin and hardener, I now have a "metered" pump set for small batches of epoxy.

I also used to have to make small batches of epoxy and HATED wasting a full stroke of each. I switched to MAS and bought a bunch of 50 ml mixing cups from Jamestown Distributors. A trip to the grocery store to buy a set of ketchup and mustard squeeze bottles for about $4... (do you see where this is going?) and voila! I squirt out 10 or 15 ml of resin, and half as much hardener to bring it up to 15 or 22.5 ml and there you go!
Added benefit is I can store the epoxy some place cool and keep the squirt bottles in my shop to fill up when necessary.