SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boy killed by lightning in our anchorage, what would you do?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Boy killed by lightning in our anchorage, what would you do?

I got a follow-up question to all you folks in the know... I have a deck stepped mast, on a trailerable boat. I am not an electrical newb, having an EE background, but mathmatically speaking "cone" notwithstanding, I don't think it'd be pleasant to be on a boat struck by lightning grounded, but ungrounded as is the case on my boat, particularly unpleasant (thinking holing the boat to get to the keel for grounding).

I know of no grounding between my chainplates, and my keel, therefore in freshwater as I am and mine being the tallest mast in our club (or one of them), I figure my boat is MOST likely to get struck. I've considered running a heavy gauge wire from my chainplates to my keelbolts. Anyone ever considered this "special case?" Is the freshwater neutral enough that lightning will avoid masts on freshwater, and prefer a tree?

PS: I've always been told that a keel stepped masted sailboat was safer than being on shore/beach/near trees in a storm. These pop-up t-storms can come up quick and wondered if there was a "procedure" or preventative that can help prevent a tragedy.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 09-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook